'waiter' 的不同说法
传统上来讲,在餐厅里如果向您提供服务的是男士则被称为waiter,如果是女士则称为waitress。然而,随着英语越来越中性化,通常在餐厅里向您提供服务的男士和女士都一律称为waiters。
您还可以使用另一个中性词server。该词适用于表达站在柜台后面的人,或等您点餐的人,或把食物送到您餐桌上的人。
Good evening. I have a reservation.
晚上好。我有订位的。
The reservation is for 7:30.
预订是七点半。
It's under the name Jacobs.
预订人是 Jacobs。
The reservation is for two people.
预订了两人的餐位。
We'd like to sit outside, please.
我们想坐在外面,谢谢。
We'd like a nice, quiet table.
我们想要位置好并且安静的餐位。
一顿饭的各部分
在说英语国家的绝大部分餐馆,一份starter 或appetizer 是开餐的一小碟食物,包括类似这样的食品:
mushroom soup蘑菇汤
Caesar salad凯撒沙拉
fresh oysters新鲜生蚝
shrimp cocktail鸡尾冷虾
一个main course, 或entree, 是一餐饭的主菜。这将包括类似这样的东西:
roasted chicken with vegetables烤鸡配蔬菜
steak and baked potato牛排和烤土豆
fresh fish with rice鲜鱼配米饭
dessert通常是在饭后吃的一碟甜食,常配茶或咖啡吃。这包括这些东西:
apple pie苹果派
chocolate mousse巧克力慕斯
lemon sorbet柠檬果汁冰球
您的侍者也许会给您介绍餐馆提供的 specials ,也许没有列在菜单上。 specials 也许包括餐饮的任何部分。只有在一年的某个时段才能提供的新鲜的当地水果就是很好的例子,
'Some' 和 'any'
在肯定句中用some 。
We have some fresh oysters today.我们今天有新鲜的生蚝。
I'll have some water.我要来点水。
您也可以用 some 进行请求和提供。
Can I have some water, please?请给我来点水好吗?
Would you like some bread?您要来点面包吗?
当您不能肯定是否得到某样东西时,在问题中用any。
Do you have any fresh oysters this evening?你们今天晚上供应新鲜生蚝吗?
Do you have any lemon sorbet?你们有柠檬果汁冰球吗?
在否定句中用 any 表示您没有某物。
No, we don't have any salad this evening.没有,今天晚上没有沙拉。
I'm sorry. We don't have any shrimp cocktail today.我们今天没有鸡尾冷虾。
Are there any specials today?
今天有什么特色菜吗?
Yes, we have some great specials.
有的,今天供应一些不错的特色菜。
Do you have any oysters?
有没有生蚝?
I'm sorry, but we don't have any oysters.
对不起,我们这里没有生蚝。
Can I have some shrimp cocktail, please?
我想来点鲜虾盅,可以吗?
We don't have any shrimp cocktail today.
我们今天没有鲜虾盅。
Would you like some warm bread?
你要来点热面包吗?
Yes, please. I'd love some.
好的,谢谢。我想来点。
SERVER: Good evening. My name is Carol. I'll be your server tonight. Here are your menus . Can I get you something to drink?
PENNY: No, thank you. Water is fine for now.
SERVER: Can I tell you about our specials this evening?
PENNY: Yes, please.
SERVER: As a starter , we have fresh oysters. We also have a very nice shrimp cocktail. For the main course , we have chicken with vegetables, and we also have a sirloin steak with baked potato.
JOHN: Oh, I'm getting hungry!
SERVER: Our dessert special is chocolate mousse with fresh strawberries.
PENNY: Thank you very much. I think we need a few minutes.
Can I get you something to drink?
您要喝点什么吗?
Water is fine, thanks.
水就行,谢谢。
Do you have any specials?
你们有什么特色菜吗?
As a starter, we have a tomato salad.
前菜我们有西红柿沙拉。
I think we need a few minutes.
我认为我们还需要几分钟。
Could we have some bread, please?
我们来点面包,可以吗?