2024-7-1

red pitaya/red dragon fruit 红心火龙果
havoc 侧重混乱、大范围扰乱破坏
The storm wreaked havoc on coastal towns. 这场风暴在沿海城镇造成了严重破坏。
Lack of sleep can wreak havoc on your health. 睡眠不足会严重损害身体健康。
ravage 侧重残酷摧残、长久毁坏
Wildfires continue to ravage the forest. 野火持续肆虐这片森林。
War ravaged the country for decades. 战争蹂躏了这个国家数十年。
hormone 激素(体内调节生理)
pheromone 信息素/费洛蒙(体外释放、作用于同类个体)
Human pheromones may affect attraction. 人类费洛蒙可能影响吸引力。
the purposeful pause 主动停一下
I'm waiting for you downstairs at the dorm. 我在宿舍楼楼下等你。
I'm down at the dorm building waiting for you. 我已经到宿舍楼下了,在等你。
I'm at the dorm entrance. 我在宿舍楼下门口这儿。
water off a duck's back (就像)水过鸭背,比喻批评,辱骂,负面评价等对人毫无影响,左耳进右耳出,毫不在意
The boos from the crowd were water off a duck's back for the experienced player. 观众的嘘声对这位经验丰富的球员毫无作用。
even-tempered 情绪很稳
I'm not a student in this class. 我不是这个班的。
I don't belong to this class. 我不是这节课的。
I'm not in this class. 我不是这节课的。
The band has a rabid fan base that follows them everywhere. 这支乐队有一群狂热的死忠粉,走到哪跟到哪。
puddle 水坑,雨后小水洼、路面水坑
The kids jumped in a puddle. 孩子们踩水坑。
pool 多指大片积水、水潭,面积比puddle大
water hole 天然水坑、野兽饮水洼
all over the map 在地图各处,形容位置和点散乱分布,混乱不堪,后引申指思路,言论,价格和数据等波动极大,毫无规律和章法
His thoughts are all over the map. 他的思绪杂乱无章,毫无头绪。
The prices of raw materials are all over the map this month. 本月原材料价格涨跌不定,波动极大。
Her essay was all over the map and lacked a clear purpose. 她的作文逻辑混乱,没有清晰的主旨。
We need more legroom! 我们需要更多周旋的余地!
There isn't much legroom in this budget. 预算的空间伸不开腿。
We have zero legroom on the price. 我们在价格上退无可退了。
Just give me some elbow room to run this team. 给我放些权好带这个团队。
Finally, we have some breathing room to plan ahead. (搞定一个巨大无比的麻烦之后,终于可以瘫在椅子上说这句话)
preposterous 荒谬的,怪诞的
It is preposterous to blame a child for an adult's mistake. 把成年人的错误归咎于一个孩子,实在荒唐至极。
The price they asked for that old vase is utterly preposterous. 他们给那个旧花瓶开出的价格完全不合常理。

©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
【社区内容提示】社区部分内容疑似由AI辅助生成,浏览时请结合常识与多方信息审慎甄别。
平台声明:文章内容(如有图片或视频亦包括在内)由作者上传并发布,文章内容仅代表作者本人观点,简书系信息发布平台,仅提供信息存储服务。

相关阅读更多精彩内容

友情链接更多精彩内容