青少年时代
What's so funny?有什么好笑的?
What are you writing about?你在写什么?
I'm writing about something I saw earlier this morning.我在写今天早上看到的东西。
Really? Do you keep a journal?真的?你有日记吗?
Yes, I do.是的,我喜欢。
Every weekend I write about things that happened during the week.每个周末,我都会写下这周发生的事情。
What does he write about in his journal? things that happened during the week他在日记里写了些什么?这周发生的事情
How long you've been doing it?你干了多久了?
I've been doing it fairly regularly since high school.我从高中起就经常这样做。
Are you going to turn it into a book?你打算把它翻到书上吗?
I don't know.我不知道。
Maybe I will someday but for now it's just for me.也许有一天我会的,但现在,这对我来说是必须的。
To turn something into something else means to transform or rework it, from one thing into another.把某物变成其他某物意味着把它从一件事转变成另一件事。
So, what was so interesting about what you saw this morning?你今天早上看到的东西有什么有趣的?
I was in the same coffee shop I usually go to and a group of teenagers came in.我和平常去的咖啡店在一起,一群十几岁的孩子进来了。
I couldn't help watching them and trying to hear some of their conversation.我禁不住看着他们,想听听他们的谈话。
That must have been interesting.那一定很有趣。
Yes, it was.是的,是的。
The more I watched them the more I realized how glad I am that I don't have to go through that stage of life again.我看得越多,就越意识到我是多么的高兴,因为我不必再经历人生的那个阶段。
So it brought back some memorizes?所以它带回了一些记忆?
Yes, it did.是的,的确如此。
It was so clear how uncomfortable some of them were, yet they were pretending to have a good time.很明显他们中的一些人有多不舒服,但他们假装玩得很开心。
At least, that's how it seemed to me.至少在我看来是这样的。
Why do you think they were pretending?你认为他们为什么假装?
It was just the way they smiled and laughed.他们笑着笑着。
It seemed unnatural and overdone, as if they were bad actors.这似乎不自然和过度,好像他们是坏演员。
It seemed to him that some of them weren’t really having a good time.在他看来,他们中的一些人过得并不愉快。
Click on the correct choice. It seemed to him that some of them were pretending to have a good time.单击正确的选项。在他看来,有些人假装玩得很开心。
A couple of the boys were really awkward around the girls, and two of the girls were wearing too much makeup.两个男孩在女孩周围真的很尴尬,两个女孩化妆太多了。
I had to stop myself laughing.我不得不停止自己的笑。
Yes, I can imagine it.是的,我可以想象。
I can remember wanting to be popular when I was in high school.我记得我在高中的时候想受欢迎。
Now that you mention it, it wasn't a great time, though I had some fun too.既然你提到这件事,虽然我也很开心,但那不是一个好时机。
I guess it wasn't so bad at the time, except when I was preparing for my university entrance examinations.我想当时情况还不错,除了我准备大学入学考试的时候。
Yes, that was awful.是的,那太糟糕了。
My parents put tons of pressure on me, so I thought I was going to go crazy.我父母给我很大的压力,所以我以为我会疯的。
He is surprised to hear that his friend is keeping a journal.听到他的朋友在写日记,他很惊讶。
This kind of journal is a collection of observations rather than personal experiences.这类期刊是一个观察的集合,而不是个人经验。
In his opinion, the way they interacted with each other was a bit unnatural and exaggerated.在他看来,他们相互交流的方式有点不自然,有些夸张。
What about girls?女孩呢?
Did you have any girlfriends?你有女朋友吗?
There was one girl I had a crush on, but I thought she was interested in somebody else.有一个女孩我很喜欢,但我觉得她对别人很感兴趣。
I didn't find out until much later that she was interested in me too.直到很久以后我才知道她也对我感兴趣。
It was a lost opportunity, one of many.这是一个失去的机会,很多机会中的一个。
Really? you should become a writer or make a movie.真的?你应该成为一名作家或是一部电影。
You have a great imagination.你很有想象力。
To be honest, it's much easier to image things than actually do things.说实话,想象事情要比实际做事情容易得多。
You can say that again.说得好。
What was one of his lost opportunities? He didn't realize that the girl he had crush on was interested in him.他失去了什么机会?他没有意识到他迷恋的那个女孩对他感兴趣。