L3-U3-P4-5 Dialogue : An Urgent Call紧急电话
M: I’d like to speak with Mr. Bennett, please. 我想找班尼特先生。
W: I’m sorry, but he’s not here right now. 对不起,他现在不在。
Would you like to leave a voice message? 你要不要留话?
M: It’s urgent that I speak with him. 我有急事要找他。
It’s an emergency! 这是紧急情况!
W: Oh, I see. 哦,我明白了。What kind of emergency? 什么紧急情况?
M: It’s very personal. So I can’t give you any details. 这是非常私人的。所以我不能给你任何细节。
W: Without more details, I’m afraid I can’t give you his number. 没有更多的细节,恐怕我不能给你他的电话号码。
Give me your number and I’ll let him know about your call. 把你的电话号码给我,我会告诉他你的电话。
Then maybe he’ll call you back. 也许他会给你回电话。Would that be okay? 可以吗?
M: Sure, my number is 583-4987. 当然可以,我的号码是583-4987。
It would be great if he could call within the next half hour. 如果他能在半小时内打电话来就太好了。
L3-U3-P4-6 Dialogue : Settling the Bill结帐
A: That was a great dinner. 那是一顿丰盛的晚餐。
B: Here, put away your wallet. I’ll pay the bill.来,把你的钱包收起来。我来付帐。
A: You paid last time, this time it's my turn to pay. 上次你付了钱,这次轮到我付了。
B: Hey, you don’t have a job, and I do. Let me pay.你没有工作,而我有。让我付吧。
A: Thanks for the offer, but I can handle it. 谢谢你的好意,但我能应付。
B: Wait, let’s flip for it. 等等,我们掷硬币决定吧。
A: Flip for it? What does that mean? 掷硬币?这是什么意思?
B: Do you see this coin? 你看到这枚硬币了吗?
This side is heads, and the opposite side is tails. 这一边是正面,另一边是反面。
I’ll flip it up in the air. 我把它抛向空中。
If it comes down with heads facing up, I’ll pay. 如果头朝上掉下来,我就付钱。
If tails is up, you can pay.如果反面朝上,你付钱。
A: Okay, that’s fine with me. 好吧,我没意见。
B: Look, it’s heads up. So I’ll pay. 看,这是正面的。所以我来付钱。
A: Thanks, it’s very nice of you. 谢谢,你真好。
B: It’s my pleasure. 这是我的荣幸。
W: Do you want anything else sir? 先生,您还要点什么吗?
Would you like to see the dessert menu? 您要看一下甜点单吗?
M: No, thanks. I’m ready for the check. 不,谢谢。我准备结账了。
Here is my credit card.这是我的信用卡。
W: I’m sorry sir, but we don’t take credit cards. 对不起,先生,我们不接受信用卡。
M: You’re joking, right? 你在开玩笑,对吧?
W: No sir, I’m not joking. 不,先生,我不是在开玩笑。
Do you see that sign? It says "cash only".你看到那个标志了吗?上面写着“只收现金”。
M: I didn’t see it when I came in. 我进来的时候没看到。
I don’t have enough cash to pay the bill.我没有足够的现金付账。
W: There's a bank down the street, sir. 先生,街那头有家银行。
If you let me hold your driver’s license, you can go and get the cash.如果你把你的驾照给我,你就可以去取现金。
M: Ok, I hope the bank is open. 好的,我希望银行还在营业。
W: The bank is closed, but you can use the ATM to get your cash. 银行已经关门了,但是你可以用自动取款机取钱。
L3-U3-P3-5 Dialogue : Good News & Bad News好消息和坏消息
W: Hey, I've got some news, some good news and some bad news. 我有一些消息,一些好消息和一些坏消息。
M: OK, give me the bad news first. 好吧,先告诉我坏消息。
W: We're moving to a new office. 我们要搬到一个新办公室。
M: When is this going to happen? 什么时候会搬?
W: We're supposed to move at the end of next month. 我们应该在下个月底搬家。
M: How far away is the new office? 新办公室有多远?
W: We are not sure yet, but it will mean a longer commute for most of us.我们还不确定,但对我们大多数人来说,这意味着通勤时间更长。
The new office will probably be on the other side of the city. 新办公室很可能在城市的另一头。
M: The commute is already too long for me and I’m not going to change flats. 对我来说通勤时间已经太长了,我不打算换公寓。
We just bought one.我们刚买了一个。
M: Anyway. What’s the good news? 反正要搬。有什么好消息?
W: The good news is that we're going to expand. 好消息是我们要扩张了。
The company is growing, so we’re going to hire more people.公司在发展,所以我们要雇用更多的人。
M: Well, I’ve got some news for you too. 我也有消息要告诉你。
W: I hope it’s good news. 我希望是好消息。
M: Well, that depends on your point of view. 那要看你怎么看了。
I’m planning to start my own business.我打算自己创业。
W: Why? I thought you were happy working here? 为什么?我以为你在这里工作很开心呢?
M: I like the work, but I’m not learning anything new. 我喜欢这份工作,但我没学到什么新东西。
I think I can do better on my own. 我觉得我自己能做得更好。
M: I was planning to wait a few months. 我本来打算等几个月。
But now that the office is moving, I’m already to make the change.但现在办公室要搬走了,我已经准备好改变了。
W: What does your wife think? 你妻子怎么想?
M: She is in favor of it and she’ll help me.她赞成,她会帮我的。
She’s already designing a website. 她已经在设计一个网站了。
We’ll work from home at first.我们先在家工作。
W: So you really are serious about this. 所以你是认真的。
You're taking a big risk. 你在冒很大的风险。
Most new businesses fail.大多数新企业都失败了。
M: Yes, I know.But if I don’t do it now, I never will. 是的,我知道。现在不做,我永远不会。
I’m tired of working for others.但如果我我厌倦了为别人工作。
W: I know what you mean. 我明白你的意思。
M: Don’t tell anyone about this okay? 别告诉任何人,好吗?
It’s still a secret.这还是个秘密。
W: Sure, I won’t say anything to anybody. 当然,我不会跟任何人说的。
I’m sure this will come as a surprise to everyone.我相信这对每个人来说都是一个惊喜。
M: I’m sure changing offices will also come as a surprise to people. 我相信换办公室对人们来说也会是一个惊喜。
This is exactly why I want to work on my own.这就是我想独立工作的原因。
I don’t like these kinds of surprises.我不喜欢这种惊喜。
W: You’re right about that. 你说得对。
When are you gonna let people know? 你打算什么时候让大家知道?
M: I’ll make the announcement at the beginning of next month.我将在下月初宣布。
L3-U3-P2-5 Dialogue : Desk Assembly组装桌子
W: What’s in that big box you're carrying? 你搬着的那个大箱子里是什么?
M: It’s a new desk. 这是一张新桌子。
I just bought it, and now I have to put it together.我刚买的,现在我得把它拼起来。
W: Do you need any help? 你需要帮忙吗?
M: No, I don’t think so. 我觉得不需要。
I just need to get my tools. 我只需要拿我的工具。
I’ll need a screwdriver and maybe a hammer.我需要一把螺丝刀和一把锤子。
W: Don’t forget to read the instructions. 别忘了看说明书。
W: How are things going? 事情进展如何?
M: I’ m almost finished. 我快做完了。
W: Something doesn’t look right to me. 我觉得有些不对劲。
The right side is higher than the left side. 右边比左边高。
M: Oh, you’re right. 哦,你说得对。
It looks like I put a couple of screws into the wrong places.看起来我把几个螺丝钉放错地方了。
W: So now you have to take it apart. 所以现在你得把它拆开。
M: Great, and I thought I was almost finished. 对,我以为我快完成了。
W: I told you to read the instructions. 我告诉过你要看说明书。
Did you read them? 你看了吗?
M: No, I didn’t read them. 不,我没看。
I hate to read the instructions. 我讨厌看说明书。
I looked at them, but they were confusing.我看着它们,但它们让我感到困惑。
W: Well, this is what happens when you don’t. 好吧,这就是你不看的后果。
You were too impatient. 你太没耐心了。
Anyway, what can I do to help you? 话说回来,我能帮你什么忙?
M: Could you get another screwdriver and help me unscrew some of these screws? 你能再拿一个螺丝刀来帮我把这些螺丝拧开吗?
W: OK, but next time please read the instructions. 好的,不过下次请仔细阅读说明。
L3-U3-P2-6 Dialogue : Life and the Universe生命与宇宙
W: Do you ever look up at the sky and think about life and universe? 你有没有仰望天空思考过生命和宇宙?
M: I did when I was a kid. 我小时候做过。
But I don’t do that very much anymore. 但我已经不怎么这么做了。
Why do you ask? 你为什么问?
W: Sometimes I feel like I’m lost in day-to-day details. 有时我觉得自己迷失在日常的细节中。
Then when I look up at the sky, I see the big picture. 然后当我仰望天空时,我看到了大画面。
I appreciate things more, even the little things.我更欣赏事物,甚至是小事。
M: You sound like a philosopher or a poet. 你听起来像个哲学家或诗人。
I felt like that too when I was a kid.我小时候也有这种感觉。
W: Don’t you feel like that anymore? 你不再有那样的感觉了吗?
M: No, I don’t.没有
In fact, I try not to. 事实上,我尽量不这么做。
When I think about things too deeply, I get depressed. 当我把事情想得太深刻时,我就会感到沮丧。
It’s even a bit frightening.这甚至有点可怕。
W: Really? For me it’s just the opposite. 真的吗? 对我来说正好相反
Everything seems like a wonderful miracle.。一切都像是一个奇迹。
M: Doesn’t that frighten you a bit? 你不觉得有点害怕吗?
The universe is so large and we are so small.宇宙如此之大,我们如此之小。
W: What I realize is how little we understand. 我意识到我们了解的太少了。
We just need to appreciate our lives and not get lost.我们只需要珍惜我们的生活,不要迷失方向。
M: Sometimes being lost isn’t so bad. 有时候迷失并不是那么糟糕。
Do you know the expression "ignorance is bliss"? 你知道“无知是福”这句话吗?
W: Sure, I’ve heard it many times. 当然,我已经听过很多次了。
To be ignorant is to be happy.无知就是快乐。
M: Maybe it’s true. 也许是真的。
Maybe it’s best not to think or know too much.也许最好不要想太多或知道太多。
W: No, that’s not for me. 不,那不适合我。
I want to understand as much as possible. 我想要尽可能多的了解。
That’s why I became a scientist.这就是我成为科学家的原因。
M: Well, I respect your choice but it’s not for me. 好吧,我尊重你的选择,但这不适合我。
If understanding is painful, I’d rather not understand.如果理解是痛苦的,我宁愿不理解。
L3-U3-P1-5 Dialogue : Dating Anniversary 约会周年纪念日
W: Do you know what day it is today? 你知道今天是星期几吗?
M: What do you mean? 你什么意思?Is it a special day?今天特别吗?
W: Oh, so you don’t remember. 哦,所以你不记得了。
M: Remember what? 记得什么?What’s so special? 有什么特别的?
W: It’s our anniversary. 今天是我们的周年纪念日。
We started dating a year ago today. 今我们一年前的今天开始约会。
M: Oh, really? Sorry! 哦,是吗? 对不起!
M: Just a minute. 等一下。What do you think this is? 你觉得这是什么?
W: Oh, it’s a necklace. 哦,是条项链。
M: Do you like it? 你喜欢吗?
W: Yes, I do. 是的,我喜欢。
It’s lovely, especially the red heart. 它很可爱,尤其是那颗红心。
May I put it on? 我可以戴上吗?
M: No, let me do it. 不,让我来。
W: So you did remember. 这么说你记得了。
M: Of course I remember it. 我当然记得。
It’s a very special day for both of us. 这对我们俩来说都是非常特别的一天。
W: I have something for you too. 我也有东西要给你。
M: You do? 是吗?
W: Yes, but it will have to wait until later. 是的,但是得等一会儿。
M: Oh, I can’t wait. 哦,我都等不及了。Tell me what it is.告诉我是什么。
W: Can you guess what it is? 你能猜到是什么吗?
M: Could you give me a hint? 你能给我个提示吗?
W: We went there six months ago. 我们六个月前去过那里。
M: Oh, you mean Alfredos. 哦,你是说阿尔弗雷多斯。
W: Yes, aren’t you excited? 是的,你不兴奋吗?
You said you really like the food there.你说你很喜欢那里的食物。
M: Yes, that’s true. 是的,没错。
I also remember their dessert, do you? 我还记得他们的甜点,你记得吗?
W: Yes, but let’s not talk about that now. 是的,但我们现在先别谈这个。
Let’s not ruin the surprise.我们不要破坏这个惊喜。
L3-U3-P1-6 Dialogue : Fine Dining美食
W: That restaurant looks nice. 那家餐馆看起来不错。
M: Yes, but it looks expensive. 是的,但是看起来很贵。
W: Let’s go in and look at the menu. 我们进去看看菜单吧。
W: Wow, the menu looks great, especially the fish. 哇,菜单看起来真棒,尤其是鱼。
M: Yes, it looks good, but look at those prices. 是的,看起来不错,但是看看那些价格。
M: Let’s try somewhere else. 我们去别的地方试试吧。
W: Sometimes it’s okay to spend a little money. 有时候花点钱也没关系。
M: Yes, but these prices are bit too high, don’t you think? 是的,但是这些价格有点太高了,你不觉得吗?
W: Yes, they are a bit high. 是的,有点高。
But don’t you think I’m worth it? 但你不觉得我值得吗?
Let’s enjoy ourselves. 让我们尽情享受吧。
M: OK, if you put it that way. 好吧,如果你这么说的话。
Let’s see if we can get a table.我们看看能不能订到位子。
W: I’m glad you have your credit card. 我很高兴你有信用卡。
I sure hope the food is good. 我真希望食物好吃
W: Stop worrying. 别担心了。Let’s just enjoy.让我们享受一下.