the narrator learns more about from where the little prince came
笔者从小王子来的地方了解了更多。
It took me a long time to learn where he came from. The little prince, who asked me so many questions, never seemed to hear the ones I asked him. It was from words dropped by chance that, little by little, everything was revealed to me.
我费了好长时间才弄清楚他是从哪里来的。小王子问了很多问题,但他似乎从来没有听到我问他的问题。从他偶尔透露的只言片语中,我渐渐对他的一切感到明晰起来。
The first time he saw my airplane, for instance (I shall not draw my airplane; that would be much too complicated for me), he asked me:
他第一次偶然看到我的飞机的时候(我就不画飞机了,那对我来说太难了),他问我:
"What is that object?"
“那个物体什么?”
"That is not an object. It flies. It is an airplane. It is my airplane."
“那不是一个物体,它会飞。它是一架飞机,是我的飞机。”
And I was proud to have him learn that I could fly.
而且,我很骄傲的告诉他我能飞
He cried out, then:
然后,他惊奇的说道:
"What! You dropped down from the sky?"
“什么!你从飞机上掉下来了?”
"Yes," I answered, modestly.
“是的,我谦虚的回答”
"Oh! That is funny!"
“奥,好有趣!”
And the little prince broke into a lovely peal of laughter, which irritated me very much. I like my misfortunes to be taken seriously.
小王子发出一阵清脆的笑声,这让我很生气。我希望我的不幸能够被认真对待。
Then he added:
然后,他又补充:
"So you, too, come from the sky! Which is your planet?"
“所以,你也是来自天上?哪个星星是你的星球?”
At that moment I caught a gleam of light in the impenetrable mystery of his presence; and I demanded, abruptly:
那一刻,我有一丝觉得他的存在是个不可理喻的秘密;我打断他:
"Do you come from another planet?"
“你来自另一个星球?”
But he did not reply. He tossed his head gently, without taking his eyes from my plane:
但是他不回答我的问题,只是微微点头,目光没有离开我的飞机。
“It is true that on that you can't have come from very far away..."
“你应该不可能来自那么远的地方......”
And he sank into a reverie, which lasted a long time. Then, taking my sheep out of his pocket, he buried himself in the contemplation of his treasure.
他陷入了一个长长的白日梦中。然后,他从口袋里取出我的绵羊,沉浸与他的宝藏的魅力之中。
You can imagine how my curiosity was aroused by this half-confidence about the "other planets." I made a great effort, therefore, to find out more on this subject.
你可以想象我的好奇心被“其他星球”这种若明若暗的语气所激起。所以,我努力想要在这个话题上发现更多蛛丝马迹。
"My little man, where do you come from? What is this 'where I live,' of which you speak? Where do you want to take your sheep?"
“我的小男孩呀,你从哪里来?你说的“我住的地方”是什么?你想把你的绵羊带到那里去?”
After a reflective silence he answered:
沉思片刻后,他回答:
"The thing that is so good about the box you have given me is that at night he can use it as his house."
那个你给我的像盒子的东西非常好,晚上的时候,绵羊可以把它当做自己的家。
"That is so. And if you are good I will give you a string, too, so that you can tie him during the day, and a post to tie him to."
“这样啊,如果你愿意,我可以再给你一根绳子,这样,白天你就可以拴着它,或者绑在树桩上。”
But the little prince seemed shocked by this offer:
但是,小王子好像被这个提议吓到了。
"Tie him! What a queer idea!"
“绑着他!多么糟糕的主义!”
"But if you don't tie him," I said, "he will wander off somewhere, and get lost."
“但是,如果你不绑着他,”我说,“他会游荡到其他地方,然后失踪了。”
My friend broke into another peal of laughter:
我的朋友又开始哈哈大笑:
"But where do you think he would go?"
“但是你认为他会去哪儿呢?”
"Anywhere. Straight ahead of him."
“任何地方,他一直往前跑。”
Then the little prince said, earnestly:
然后小王子认真的说:
"That doesn't matter. Where I live, everything is so small!"
“没关系,我住的地方,所有的东西都很小。”
And, with perhaps a hint of sadness, he added:
然后,或许带有一丝悲伤,他补充道:
"Straight ahead of him, nobody can go very far..."
“他一直往前跑,没有人可以跑多远......”