On Machine Intelligence 1(17’24)
— — Zeynep Yufekci
So I started my first job as a computer programmer in my very first year of college, basically , as a teenager.
因此,我第一份工作是一名计算机程序员,那是在我刚上大学的时候,总的来说是一名青少年。
Soon after I started working, writing software in a company,
我开始工作不久后,正在公司写软件,
a manager who worked at the company came down to where I was.
公司里的一名经理屈尊来到我工作的地方,
and he whispered to me," Can he tell if I'm lying?”
对我耳语,如果我在说谎它看得出来吗?
There was nobody else in the room.
房间里没有别人。
"Can who tell if you're lying? And why are we whispering?"
如果你在说谎,谁能看出来?还有,为什么我们要耳语?
The manage pointed at the computer in the room. "Can he tell if I'm lying?"
那个经理指向房间里的电脑,说,“如果我在说谎,它看得出来吗?”
Well, that manager was having an affair with the receptionist.
好吧,那名经理正和前台有暧昧。
And I was still a teenager.
而我还只是一名青少年。
So I whisper -shouted back to him," Yes, the computer can tell if you're lying."
我低喊着回答他,“是的,如果你说谎,这台电脑会看得出来。”
Well, I laughed, but actually , the laugh's on me.
好吧,我笑了。但其实,我是在笑自己。
Nowadays, there are computational systems that can suss out(弄清 认清 看清) emotional states and even lying from processing human faces.
现在,计算机系统可以通过分析人脸来识别人的情绪,甚至说谎。
Advertisers and even governments are very interested.
广告商、甚至政府都对此非常感兴趣。
I had become a computer programmer because I was one of those kids crazy about math and science.
我选择成为一名电脑程序员,因为我就是那种痴迷于数学和科学的孩子之一。
But somewhere along the line I'd learned about nuclear weapons, and I'd gotten really concerned with the ethics of science. I was trouble.
但是有时沿着那条线,我喜欢了解核武器,我真的关心科学论理。我困惑了。
However, because of family circumstances, I also needed to start working as soon as possible.
然而,由于家庭原因,我也需要尽快找工作了。
So I thought to myself, hey, let me pick a technical field where I can get a job easily and where I don't have to deal with any troublesome questions of ethics.
因此,我心想,嘿,我还是找个容易找工作的技术领域,我不需要担心麻烦的伦理问题。
So I picked computers.
所以,我选择了计算机。
Well, hahaha! All the laughs are on me.
好吧,哈哈哈,我有多可笑。
Nowadays, computer scientists are building platforms that control what a billion people see everyday.
现在,计算机科学家正在建造一个可以控制十亿人每天看见的平台。
They're developing cars that could decide who to run over.
他们开发能够决定谁来开动的汽车。
They're even building machines, weapons, that might kill human beings in war.
他们甚至建造那些可能在战争中杀死人类的机器,武器。
It's ethics all the way down.
各方论理都降低了。
1. Why does Yufekci mention the conversation with her manager?
...to show people's concern about the power of computers.
2. The idom " Somewhere along the line" means...
...at some point during a process.
3.排序
1)Nowadays, computer scientists are building platforms that control what a billion people see everyday.
2)They're developing cars that could decide who to run over.
3)They're even building machines, weapons, that might kill human beings in war.
4)It's ethics all the way down.
4. 听 复述
Nowadays, computer scientists are building platforms that control what a billion people see everyday.