不可征服

INVICTUS (1875年)

Out of the night that covers me,

夜幕低垂將我籠罩

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

兩極猶如漆黑地窖

I thank whatever gods may be

我感謝未知的上帝

For my unconquerable soul.

賦予我不敗的心靈

In the fell clutch of circumstance

即使環境險惡危急

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

我不會退縮或哭嚎

Under the bludgeonings of chance

立於時機的脅迫下

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

血流滿面我不屈服

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

超越這般悲憤交集

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

恐怖陰霾獨步逼近

And yet the menace of the years

歲月威脅揮之不去

Finds and shall find me unafraid.

我終究會無所畏懼

It matters not how strait the gate,

縱然通道多麼險狹

How charged with punishments the scroll,

儘管嚴懲綿延不盡

I am the master of my fate:

我是我命運的主人

I am the captain of my soul.

我是我心靈的統帅

──威廉欧内斯特亨利

‘Invictus’ is Latin for ‘unconquerable’.

曼德拉常常背诵的一首诗。

©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
【社区内容提示】社区部分内容疑似由AI辅助生成,浏览时请结合常识与多方信息审慎甄别。
平台声明:文章内容(如有图片或视频亦包括在内)由作者上传并发布,文章内容仅代表作者本人观点,简书系信息发布平台,仅提供信息存储服务。

相关阅读更多精彩内容

友情链接更多精彩内容