All is one
一切即一
Taking up a position diametrically opposed to the views of Heraclitus, Parmenides argued that the change we perceive in the world is an illusion, and that reality is eternal and unchanging.
巴门尼德提出了与赫拉克利特截然相反的观点。他主张,我们所感知到的世界变化不过是一种假象,而真实的存在是永恒且恒定不变的。

The illusion of change
变化的假象
Unlike Heraclitus, Parmenides (c.515–c.445 bce) based his ideas on logic alone as opposed to observation. Consequently, his inquiries were less concerned with what the universe is made of than the nature of being itself.
与赫拉克利特不同,巴门尼德(约公元前515年—约公元前445年)的思想完全建立在逻辑推理之上,而非依赖于观察。因此,相较于探究宇宙的物质构成,他更关注“存在”本身的本质。
First, he claims that a thing either is or is not: it either does or does not exist. Second, he argues it cannot be said that nothing—a void—exists, for only a thing can exist. Third, he says that since there is no such thing as nothing, it is impossible for something either to come from nothing or to be reduced to nothing. From this, it follows that change is impossible, for change can only ever be a particular thing (such as a seed) becoming nothing as it turns into something else (a plant)—but nothing can be reduced to nothing. What is, then, must always have been, and will always be. Strictly speaking, nothing can be said to be unlike anything else.
首先,他断言,一个事物要么“存在”,要么“不存在”,即它要么实实在在地存在着,要么根本就不存在。其次,他论证道,不能说“无”(即虚空)是存在的,因为唯有“存在者”(事物)才能存在。第三,他指出,既然不存在“无”这种状态,那么某物既不可能从“无”中产生,也不可能消解为“无”。 由此可以推断,变化是不可能发生的。因为变化意味着一个特定的事物(比如一粒种子)在转变为另一个事物(一株植物)的过程中会消逝为“无”,但根据上述推理,任何事物都不可能消解为“无”。如此一来,“存在者”必然是永恒存在的,过去一直存在,未来也将永远存在。严格来讲,不能说任何一个“存在者”与其他“存在者”是不同的。
In contrast to this rational account of reality, the world as we perceive it seems ever-changing and impermanent. Parmenides says that this is due to the deceptive nature of our senses, and that only reason can reveal the true nature of things: a single, changeless reality in which “all is one.”
与这种基于理性的“存在”阐释形成鲜明对比的是,我们所感知到的世界似乎始终处于变化之中,且充满了无常。巴门尼德认为,这是由于我们的感官具有欺骗性,唯有理性才能揭示事物的真正本质:那是一个单一、永恒不变的“存在”世界,在这个世界中“万物归一”。
The way of truth
真理之路
In his philosophical poem On Nature, Parmenides describes the world as we perceive it as the “way of opinion”—that is, the way we interpret the changes we see in the world. The “way of truth,” however, explains how the changes we see are illusions: reality is an unchanging, timeless, singular entity.
在他的哲学诗篇《论自然》中,巴门尼德将我们所感知到的世界称为“意见之路”,也就是说,这是我们对所观察到的世界变化的一种主观解读方式。而“真理之路”则向我们解释了,我们所看到的变化为何只是假象:真实的“存在”是一个永恒不变、不受时间影响的单一实体。

I CANNOT NOT BE
我现在不可能不存在于这里
I CANNOT HAVE BEEN
I must always have been as I am, since the past cannot have been different. THEN NOW
我不可能有过不同的状态
我必然一直保持着我现在的样子,因为过去的“存在”状态不可能与现在不同。
I CANNOT HAVE MOVED
I must always have been where I am, since motion, being change, is impossible. THERE HERE
我不可能移动过
我必然一直处于我当前所在的位置,因为运动作为一种“变化”形式,是不可能发生的。
I CANNOT BE UNLIKE OTHER THINGS
Difference is impossible, so nothing can be unlike anything else. ME IT
我不可能与其他“存在者”不同
“差异”是不可能存在的,所以没有任何一个“存在者”能与其他“存在者”不同。
ALL THAT IS, IS ONE, UNCHANGING
What exists is one, and indivisible, like a perfect sphere.
一切“存在者”都是一体的、不变的
“存在者”是一个不可分割的整体,就如同一个完美的球体。
NEED TO KNOW
需知要点
❯❯Parmenides is sometimes called the “father” of ontology (the study of the nature of being, existence, and reality).
❯❯ 巴门尼德有时被尊称为本体论(研究“存在”“实存”和“实在”之本质的学科)的“奠基人”。
❯❯The idea of two worlds—one of illusion and one of reality and truth—had a significant influence on Plato (see pp.36–37).
❯❯ 关于“两个世界”的观念——一个是假象的世界,另一个是真实与真理的世界——对柏拉图(详见第36至37页)产生了深远的影响。
❯❯The view that existence is a singular, unchanging entity is known as Parmenidean monism.
❯❯ 那种认为“存在”是单一、不变之实体的观点,被称作巴门尼德式一元论。

