【学习笔记】懂你英语 核心课 Level 7 Unit 3 Part 2(II)On Reading Minds 2

TED Talk    How we read each other's minds?  我们如何解读他人的想法?  Speaker: Rebecca Saxe 第二课

So, the job of my field of cognitive neuroscience is to stand with these ideas, one in each hand. 我工作的研究领域是认知神经科学,就是研究每一个人的这些想法。

And to try to understand how you can put together simple units, simple messages over space and time, in a network, 然后尝试如何能把它们归到一起 简单的单元,简单的信息,不受到时间和空间的限制,

and get this amazing human capacity to think about minds.  具有这些就可以拥有人类思考的能力。

So I'm going to tell you three things about this today.  我下来要和大家主要谈三个方面的事情。

Obviously the whole project here is huge. 很明显,这样的一个研究项目非常庞大。

And I'm going to tell you just our first few steps about the discovery of a special brain region for thinking about other people's thoughts.  我只谈到的只是我们最初的几个研究阶段 有关于发现 大脑中用于思考的区域 

Some observations on the slow development of this system as we learn how to do this difficult job. 另外一些是观察这个机制是如何慢慢发展起来,因为我们要明白如何去完成这份困难的任务。

And then finally, to show that some of the differences between people, in how we judge others, can be explained by differences in this brain system.  最后一个是,展现下人与人之间的差别 我们如何去给他人下结论 通过脑系统可以解释这之前的差异


So first, the first thing I want to tell you is that there is a brain region in the human brain, in your brains, whose job it is to think about other people's thoughts. 那么首先,第一个和大家讲述的是 在人类的大脑中有一个区域 这个区域的任务就是去思考别人是如何思考的

This is a picture of it.这里是一张关于它的图片 

 It's called the Right Temporo-Parietal Junction. It's above and behind your right ear.我们称它为右颞顶联合, 它大概就在你右的后上方

And this is the brain region you used when you saw the pictures I showed you, or when you read Romeo and Juliet or when you tried to understand Alan Greenspan.    这张图片就是我们所使用的大脑区域,当你在读《罗密欧和朱丽叶》时,又或当你试着去理解格林斯潘时候就用到它。

And you don't use it for solving any other kinds of logical problems. 【跟读】  但你不会使用它来解决任何逻辑推理的问题

So this brain region is called the Right TPJ. 我们称这块脑区域为 RTPJ 

And this picture shows the average activation in a group of what we call typical human adults. 这张图片显示了典型成人的 RTPJ的平均水平 

They're MIT undergraduates.  这种水平就是是麻省理工的大学生水平

【解释】 Right Temporo-Parietal Junction


The second thing I want to say about this brain system is that although we human adults are really good at understanding other minds, we weren't always that way.  第二个我要谈的是这个脑系统,尽管我们成人的脑系统,很擅长去理解他人的想法,但也不是绝对的。

It takes children a long time to break into the system.   【填空】 对于小孩而言需要很长的一段时间才能构建这个系统。

I'm going to show you a little bit of that long, extended process.   我会给大家看下这个有点缓慢的、需要外部协助发展的过程。

The first thing I'm going to show you is a change between age three and five, as kids learn to understand that somebody else can have beliefs that are different from their own.   第一个演示的是3岁的孩子与5岁孩子的变化差异,因为孩子要学会去理解,别人可以有完全不同于自己的想法。

So I'm going to show you a five-year-old who is getting a standard kind of puzzle that we call the false belief task.先看下一个5岁大的孩子,他面临一个标准的困惑,我们把这个困惑称为“错误信念任务”。


Rebecca Saxe (Video): This is the first pirate. His name is Ivan. And you know what pirates really like? 视频:这是第一个海盗,名字叫做艾凡 你知道海盗最喜欢什么吗?

Child: What? 

RS: Pirates really like cheese sandwiches. 海盗最喜欢乳酪三明治

Child: Cheese? I love cheese!   乳酪?我爱吃乳酪

RS: Yeah. So Ivan has this cheese sandwich, and he says, "Yum yum yum yum yum! I really love cheese sandwiches." 对的!那么艾凡有这个乳酪三明治 然后他说着“嗯 嗯 嗯 嗯 嗯 嗯! 我最爱乳酪三明治"

And Ivan puts his sandwich over here, on top of the pirate chest. 然后艾凡把他的三明治放在这里,一个海盗箱的上面 

And Ivan says, "You know what? I need a drink with my lunch." 然后艾凡又说“你知道不, 我要为午餐去弄点喝的” 

And so Ivan goes to get a drink. 然后艾凡离开去取酒

And while Ivan is away the wind comes, and it blows the sandwich down onto the grass. 当艾凡离开的时候,一阵风刮来,把三明治吹到了草地上。

And now, here comes the other pirate. 这时候,又来了另外一个海盗 

This pirate is called Joshua. 这个海盗叫做约书亚.

And Joshua also really loves cheese sandwiches.  当然约书亚也一样很喜欢乳酪三明治

So Joshua has a cheese sandwich and he says, "Yum yum yum yum yum! I love cheese sandwiches."  约书亚也有一个乳酪三明治,然后他说 “嗯 嗯 嗯 嗯!我爱乳酪三明治” 

And he puts his cheese sandwich over here on top of the pirate chest.  接着他把他的乳酪三明治放到了这个海盗箱的上面

Child: So, that one is his. 孩子:这个就是他的

RS: That one is Joshua's. That's right.  丽蓓卡.萨克斯:那个是约书亚。对极了!

Child: And then his went on the ground. 孩子:接着他离开这里

RS: That's exactly right.  丽蓓卡.萨克斯:完全正确

Child: So he won't know which one is his. 孩子:那他不会知道哪个是他自己的

RS: Oh. So now Joshua goes off to get a drink. Ivan comes back and he says, "I want my cheese sandwich." So which one do you think Ivan is going to take?   丽蓓卡.萨克斯: 喔,那现在约书亚离开去喝酒了。艾凡回来,他说“我要我的乳酪三明治."那你认为艾凡将会拿走哪一个呢?

Child: I think he is going to take that one. 孩子:我认为他会拿走那一个。

RS: Yeah, you think he's going to take that one? All right. Let's see. Oh yeah, you were right. He took that one. 丽蓓卡.萨克斯:耶,你认为他会拿走这个吧?对极了。我们看看 哦,你猜对了。他拿走了那个。


So that's a five-year-old who clearly understands that other people can have false beliefs and what the consequences are for their actions.    对于一个5岁大的孩子已经可以清晰的理解 别人可能会有误解 那这种行为会有什么影响呢?

【跟读】The five-year-old understood why Ivan would mistake the sandwich as his.

Now I'm going to show you a three-year-old who got the same puzzle.  现在我给你看下一个三岁大的孩子 他也碰到相同的问题

RS: And Ivan says, "I want my cheese sandwich."  Which sandwich is he going to take?视频:丽蓓卡.萨克斯:艾凡说“我想要我的乳酪三明治” 。 他会拿哪个走呢?

Do you think he's going to take that one? 你认为他会拿走那个吗?

Let's see what happens. Let's see what he does. 我们看下会有什么发生 艾凡来啦。我们看看他会怎么做。

Here comes Ivan. And he says, "I want my cheese sandwich." And he takes this one.他说“我要我的乳酪三明治” 接着他拿走了这一个

Uh-oh. Why did he take that one?   噢。他为什么要拿那个啊?

Child: His was on the grass. 他的掉在了草地上了


So the three-year-old does two things differently. 丽蓓卡.萨克斯:那么三岁大的孩子做了两件不同的事情

First, he predicts Ivan will take the sandwich that's really his. 【跟读】    第一个是他认定艾凡会带走那个真正是他的三明治

And second, when he sees Ivan taking the sandwich where he left his, where we would say he's taking that one because he thinks it's his, 第二,当他看到艾凡从他放置的地方拿走三明治 对于我们而言会认为艾凡会拿走那一个因为艾凡认为那个是他的

the three-year-old comes up with another explanation: He's not taking his own sandwich because he doesn't want it, because now it's dirty, on the ground.  但是三岁大的孩子会有另外一种解释 艾凡不带走本属于他三文治是他不想要 因为它现在已经掉在地上被搞脏了

So that's why he's taking the other sandwich.  所以这是为什他拿走另外的三明治

Now of course, development doesn't end at five.当然,智力的发展不是在5岁时候就结束了

And we can see the continuation of this process of learning to think about other people's thoughts by upping the ante and asking children now, not for an action prediction, but for a moral judgment.   我们可以看到随着年龄增长,去学习理解他人想法的 是一个连续的过程 接着我问小孩子们,不是关于海盗的做法 而是对道德的判断

So first I'm going to show you the three-year-old again.    首先再给大家看下三岁大的孩子的情况


RS.: So is Ivan being mean and naughty for taking Joshua's sandwich?   视频:艾凡是不是不应该拿走约书亚的三明治呢?

Child: Yeah. 孩子:当然

RS: Should Ivan get in trouble for taking Joshua's sandwich?  那艾凡拿走了约书亚的三明治会不会惹上麻烦?

Child: Yeah.  孩子:当然.

So it's maybe not surprising he thinks it was mean of Ivan to take Joshua's sandwich, 丽蓓卡.萨克斯:因此不奇怪当艾凡拿走约书亚的三明治时候 他认为不应该 

since he thinks Ivan only took Joshua's sandwich to avoid having to eat his own dirty sandwich.因为他认为艾凡拿走约书亚是为了 不想吃他那个已经弄脏的三明治 

But now I'm going to show you the five-year-old. Remember the five-year-old completely understood why Ivan took Joshua's sandwich.  但现在我给大家看下5岁的孩子的情况,还记得5岁大的孩子完全能理解艾凡为什么拿走约书亚的三明治吧.

RS: Was Ivan being mean and naughty for taking Joshua's sandwich?  丽蓓卡.萨克斯:艾凡拿走约书亚的三明治,是不是很淘气?

Child: Um, yeah.  恩,当然

And so, it is not until age seven that we get what looks more like an adult response.  【填空】 同时,一直到7岁大的孩子 我们看到了类似于成人的反应。

RS: Should Ivan get in trouble for taking Joshua's sandwich? 视频:艾凡拿走了约书亚的三明治是否会惹麻烦啊?

Child: No, because the wind should get in trouble. 孩子:不会,因为是风惹的

He says the wind should get in trouble for switching the sandwiches.  他回答说风会惹上麻烦 因为它调换了三明治

【选择】-What did Saxe learn from the experiment?  -The seven-year-old demonstrated an adult-like moral judgement.

【选择】-Which of the statements about the three boys experiments is true?    -The 7-year-old had developed a sense of moral judgement simliar to an adult's.

【选择】In the experiment, the five-year-old's moral judgment suggests that...   he clearly understands that other people can have false beliefs.

【跟读】The experiment shows that the ability to understand other's thoughts develops gradually.

【跟读】The seven-year-old has developed a sense of moral judgment similar to the adult.

最后编辑于
©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
禁止转载,如需转载请通过简信或评论联系作者。
  • 序言:七十年代末,一起剥皮案震惊了整个滨河市,随后出现的几起案子,更是在滨河造成了极大的恐慌,老刑警刘岩,带你破解...
    沈念sama阅读 204,445评论 6 478
  • 序言:滨河连续发生了三起死亡事件,死亡现场离奇诡异,居然都是意外死亡,警方通过查阅死者的电脑和手机,发现死者居然都...
    沈念sama阅读 85,889评论 2 381
  • 文/潘晓璐 我一进店门,熙熙楼的掌柜王于贵愁眉苦脸地迎上来,“玉大人,你说我怎么就摊上这事。” “怎么了?”我有些...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 151,047评论 0 337
  • 文/不坏的土叔 我叫张陵,是天一观的道长。 经常有香客问我,道长,这世上最难降的妖魔是什么? 我笑而不...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 54,760评论 1 276
  • 正文 为了忘掉前任,我火速办了婚礼,结果婚礼上,老公的妹妹穿的比我还像新娘。我一直安慰自己,他们只是感情好,可当我...
    茶点故事阅读 63,745评论 5 367
  • 文/花漫 我一把揭开白布。 她就那样静静地躺着,像睡着了一般。 火红的嫁衣衬着肌肤如雪。 梳的纹丝不乱的头发上,一...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 48,638评论 1 281
  • 那天,我揣着相机与录音,去河边找鬼。 笑死,一个胖子当着我的面吹牛,可吹牛的内容都是我干的。 我是一名探鬼主播,决...
    沈念sama阅读 38,011评论 3 398
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我猛地睁开眼,长吁一口气:“原来是场噩梦啊……” “哼!你这毒妇竟也来了?” 一声冷哼从身侧响起,我...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 36,669评论 0 258
  • 序言:老挝万荣一对情侣失踪,失踪者是张志新(化名)和其女友刘颖,没想到半个月后,有当地人在树林里发现了一具尸体,经...
    沈念sama阅读 40,923评论 1 299
  • 正文 独居荒郊野岭守林人离奇死亡,尸身上长有42处带血的脓包…… 初始之章·张勋 以下内容为张勋视角 年9月15日...
    茶点故事阅读 35,655评论 2 321
  • 正文 我和宋清朗相恋三年,在试婚纱的时候发现自己被绿了。 大学时的朋友给我发了我未婚夫和他白月光在一起吃饭的照片。...
    茶点故事阅读 37,740评论 1 330
  • 序言:一个原本活蹦乱跳的男人离奇死亡,死状恐怖,灵堂内的尸体忽然破棺而出,到底是诈尸还是另有隐情,我是刑警宁泽,带...
    沈念sama阅读 33,406评论 4 320
  • 正文 年R本政府宣布,位于F岛的核电站,受9级特大地震影响,放射性物质发生泄漏。R本人自食恶果不足惜,却给世界环境...
    茶点故事阅读 38,995评论 3 307
  • 文/蒙蒙 一、第九天 我趴在偏房一处隐蔽的房顶上张望。 院中可真热闹,春花似锦、人声如沸。这庄子的主人今日做“春日...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 29,961评论 0 19
  • 文/苍兰香墨 我抬头看了看天上的太阳。三九已至,却和暖如春,着一层夹袄步出监牢的瞬间,已是汗流浃背。 一阵脚步声响...
    开封第一讲书人阅读 31,197评论 1 260
  • 我被黑心中介骗来泰国打工, 没想到刚下飞机就差点儿被人妖公主榨干…… 1. 我叫王不留,地道东北人。 一个月前我还...
    沈念sama阅读 45,023评论 2 350
  • 正文 我出身青楼,却偏偏与公主长得像,于是被迫代替她去往敌国和亲。 传闻我的和亲对象是个残疾皇子,可洞房花烛夜当晚...
    茶点故事阅读 42,483评论 2 342

推荐阅读更多精彩内容