Good morning everyone,
各位早上好,
before I begin I want to take a moment to express how truly I honored I am to be able to speak to you all today.
在我开始演讲之前,我想用一点时间,来告诉大家,今天能在你们所有人面前演讲于我来说,真的是莫大的荣幸。
And how proud I am of the class of 2018 for making it here.
并且我对2018届的毕业生感到非常自豪。
I also want to sincerely thank the teaching staff that helped us get here and in particular I want to thank Dr. Sullivan.
同时我也想要真诚地感谢那些帮助我们走到今天的教职员工们。特别的是,沙利文博士。
For being both my mentor and my friend throughout my four years here, as someone who had never seen a programming language before entering BU,or really known anything about computer science,
我来到波士顿大学之前从未接触过做编程语言的人,也不知道任何关于计算机科学的知识。在这四年里,他成为了我的良师益友。
I am pretty amazed to be where I am now,
我很惊讶自己现在的位置,
and I'm sure that's a sentiment that many of my fellow graduates share.
并且我相信和我同专业的毕业生也有这样的感触。
Starting from P Koba in 111 with dr. Sullivan,
在111教室,跟随沙利文博士开始学习,
to professor Snyder raving about hash tables at 112,
到112教室,听斯奈德教授狂言计算机的散列表,
to Professor Opera vu running across the classroom, to demonstrate the benefits of cashing in his bright orange pants in 210,
到210教室,看奥佩拉·吴教授在教室里奔跑,证明了他穿着亮橙色裤子的好处,
we have come a long way.
我们走过了相当长的一段路。
It has been a tiring and treacherous journey through seg faults and nopointers.
这是一段令人疲惫和折磨的旅程,经历了种种错误并且没有任何指导。
But at the end I can say confidently that it has also been the most rewarding experience of my life so far.
但最后,我可以自信地说,它是我人生中到目前为止最有收获的一段经历。
We are graduating with the skills to help improve any fields,
我们毕业时,掌握了帮助改善任何领域的技能,
whether you want to make video games,
不管你是想制作电子游戏,
write software for medical equipment, research machine learning algorithms,
为医疗设备编写软件,研究机器的学习算法,
or maybe for some reason, God knows why, do some low level development.
或因为一些上帝才知道的原因,去做一些低水平的开发。
And see, you can.
并且你能看到,这些你都能做到。
We are also graduating with incredibly valuable knowledge,
我们毕业时也掌握了非常有价值的知识,
and I believe with that comes a responsibility to share that knowledge withothers who may not have been as lucky as us.
并且我相信这也带来了一份责任,去将这些知识分享给那些不像我们这么幸运的人。
I've been teaching as both the CA and TA for three years of my time here at BU.
在波士顿大学其中的三年里,我教授了条件接收系统和技术援助的课程。
And in doing so I've learned that not only do you understand something 10 times better after teaching it,
这使我明白了,在你教给别人一样东西的时候,你要比之前花费10倍心力的去理解它,
but being able to give others the rewarding experience of accomplishing something that they didn't think they could is both fulfilling and hopeful.
并且能够给予别人完成某件事的有益经验,那些他们认为无法完成的事情是可能而又有希望的。
It's also important to understand that our learning doesn't have to end now that we're finished here.
同样重要的是,我们要明白,从这毕业之后,我们不能停止学习。
In fact, in some ways, it has only just begun.
事实上,从某种程度上来说,我们的学习才刚刚开始。
Don't shy away from learning new programming languages, new tools, newlibraries.
不要逃避学习新的程序设计语言,新的工具和新的函数库。
Don't be afraid to apply to an ambitious position or to take a risk at yourjob by working on an unfamiliar project,
不要害怕去申请一个有抱负的职位,不要害怕在一个不熟悉的项目上工作并承担相应的风险,
because for me, learning is a huge part of living.
因为对于我来说,学习是生活中很重要的一部分。
And every great adventure begins with taking some sort of risk.
每一次伟大的冒险都是从承担某种风险开始的。
Just don't forget along the way to share some of that adventure with others.
只是不要忘了要在路上和别人分享一些冒险的经历。
But before then, let's remember how we got here.
但在此之前,让我们来回顾一下我们是这么到今天的。
And despite the obstacles, I know that we all hit that we got here together.
尽管有很多障碍,我们还是一起拼搏并走到了今天。
I think it's a common saying in the CS program that we all became pretty good friends through mutual suffering.
我认为这是在CS程序中常见的说法。在经历了共同的磨难之后,我们成为了非常好的朋友。
I cannot count the late nights spent in the CS lab working on things like 131 when I was a freshman at first semester,
在第一学期的时候,我还是个新生。我数不清在计算机科学实验室度过了多少个夜晚,去研究像131这样的东西。
or maybe desperately trying to debug the shuttle-bus multi-threaded assignment in 350.
或是在305教室拼命尝试去修正穿梭巴士的多线任务。
Nor can I count the number of times I've passed by one of you in the lab looking for Lauren and eating nut pub at like midnight.
我也数不清我有多少次,在实验室路过,看到你们在凌晨时候,还在到处找劳伦,在实验室吃着坚果。
I met some of my best friends here in CS.
在计算机科学专业,我遇到了我最好的几个朋友。
And it was nice to know that I was never really in this alone.
我很欣慰的知道我并不孤独。
Because despite the difficulty at times, we all stuck with it out of both passion and determination.
因为尽管困难重重,但我们都坚持自己的激情和决心。
And that's something worth remembering.
这是值得被记住的事情。
Just because something is difficult does not mean that it is not worth trying.
因为一件事情很难不代表它不值得去尝试。
The struggles we face actually make life interesting.
我们所遇到的磨难会使我们的生活更精彩。
And if you go through the rest of your life after college avoiding the difficult parts, it won't be very exciting.
如果你在毕业后的人生中总是想要逃避那些艰难的部分,你的人生将不会有趣。
So let this be a lesson, don't give up, don't take the easy way out, because as we've all proven to ourselves today we can do it.
所以让这成为人生中的一课,不要放弃,也不要为了省事,因为我们在今天都证明了我们自己是可以做到。
Thank you and congratulations again!
谢谢大家,再次祝贺你们!