前景提要:卷福发现那双运动鞋竟然和他破获的第一起案件有关,这与谜题到底有什么样的联系......
S:1989, kid, champion swimmer, came from Brighton for a school sports tournament, drowned in the pool. Tragic accident. You wouldn't remember it. 1989年,一个孩子,游泳健将,从布莱顿来过来参加锦标赛,他是游泳冠军却淹死在泳池里。不幸的意外,你肯定不记得了吧?
W:But you remember.可你记得。
S:Yes.对。
W:Something fishy about it?事有蹊跷?
S:Nobody thought so. Nobodyexcept me. I was only a kid myself. I read about it in the papers. 没人这么想,只有我,我当时也是小孩,在报纸上看到了这个事情。
W:You started young, didn't you?你还真是英雄出少年啊。
S:The boy, CarlPowers, had some kind of fit in the water, but by the time they got him out, itwas too late. There was something wrong somewhere. I couldn't get it out of myhead. 那孩子,卡尔·鲍尔斯,他水性很好,可等他们救他出来已经迟了。有些事不对劲,总在我脑海里一直盘桓着。
W:What?什么?
S:His shoes.他的鞋
W:What about them?鞋怎么了?
S:They weren't there. I made a fuss. I tried to get the police interested, but nobody seemed to think it was important. He'd left all the rest of his clothes in his locker, but there was no sign of his shoes. Until now.现场没发现鞋子,我嚷了起来。我尽力想让警方注意,可根本没人重视。其它衣服都在更衣室柜子里,只有鞋不见了,直到今天。
W:Can I help? I wantto help. There's only five hours left. It's your brother. He's texting me now. Howdoes he know my number? 我能帮上忙吗?我想帮忙,只剩五小时了。是你哥哥,现在他发给我了。他怎么有我的号?
S:Must be a root canal.他牙齿准是根管治疗
W:Look, he did say...national importance.听着,他说过那是国家要案。
S:How quaint!真有意思。
W:What is?什么有意思?
S:You are. Queen and country.你呀,国家的荣誉和责任至上。
W:You can't just ignore it.你不能置之不理。
S:I'm not ignoring it.我没置之不理。
S:Putting my best man onto it right now.我现在就让我的死党赶过去。
W:Right, good! Who's that?好,那就好。谁是你死党?
Mycroft:John, how nice! I was hoping it wouldn't be long.约翰,真荣幸。我就说马上会再见。
W:How can I help you? Um, I was wanting to... Your brother sent me to collect more facts about the stolen plans - the missile plans.有什么能效劳?我只是想,你弟弟派我来收集些情况,关于被盗的计划。
Mycroft:Did he?是吗?
W:Yes. He's investigating now. He's, er...investigating away.是的,他正在调查,他在到别处调查了。
W:I just wondered what else you could tell me about the dead man.希望你告诉我一些关于死者的情况。
Mycroft:Er, 27. Clerkat Vauxhall Cross. MI6. He was involved in the Bruce-Partington Program in aminor capacity. Security checks A-OK. No known terrorist affiliations orsympathies. Last seen by his fiancee 10.30 yesterday evening.27岁,在沃克斯豪尔公司的职员,军情六处的卧底。他在布鲁斯-帕廷顿计划中微不足道。安检一切正常,未发现恐怖主义联系或倾向。最后见的是他未婚妻,昨晚十点半。
W:He was found at Battersea, yes. So he got on the train?他在巴特希被发现,是坐了火车吧?
Mycroft:No.不
W:What?什么?
Mycroft:He had an Oyster card...but it hadn't been used.他带着交通卡,但没刷过。
W:He must have bought a ticket.那一定是买了车票。
Mycroft:There was no ticket on the body.尸体上没有票根。
W:Then...但
Mycroft:How did he end up with a bashed-in brain on the tracks at Battersea? That is the question—the one I was rather hoping Sherlock would provide an answer to.怎么会在巴特希铁轨上头部遭重击而死呢?就是这个问题,我正指望夏洛克能给出答案。
Mycroft:How's he getting on? 他进展如何?
W:He's fine. And it is going...very well. He's, um... He's completely focused on it.还行,一切顺利。他相当专注。
S:Poison!毒药
Mrs Hudson:What are you going on about?你说什么?
S:Clostridiumbotulinum. It's one of the deadliest poisons on the planet. Carl Powers. 肉毒杆菌!这是世上最致命的毒药之一。卡尔·鲍尔斯。
W:Oh, wait. Are you saying he was murdered?哦,等下,你是说他是被谋杀的?
S:Remember the shoelaces?记得鞋带吗?
W:Mmm.嗯
S:He suffered from eczema. It would be easy to introduce the poison into his medication. Two hours later he comes to London, the poison paralyses the muscles and he drowns.他有湿疹,很容易把毒下到他药里。两小时后他来到伦敦,毒药麻痹肌肉,于是他淹死了。
W:How come the autopsy didn't pick that up?当时尸检怎么会没发现这点?
S:It's virtually undetectable. Nobody was looking for it.这很难察觉,而且根本没人想查。
S:Found. Pair oftrainers belonging to Carl Powers (1978-1989). There are still tiny traces ofit in the trainers from where he put the cream on his feet. That's why they hadto go. 鞋上还有微量的残留,他往脚上擦药膏时留的,因此才要藏起鞋。
W:So how do we let the bomber know?我们怎么通知炸弹客?
S:Get his attention, stop the clock.引起他注意,让计时停止。
W:The killer kept the shoes all these years.凶手把鞋藏了这么多年
S:Yes. Meaning...对,也就是说…
W:He's our bomber.这个歹徒就是凶手。
Woman A:"Well done, you. Come and get me."干得漂亮,来救我吧。
S:Where are you? Tell us where you are.你在哪?告诉我们你在哪。
L:She lives in Cornwall. Two men broke in wearing masks, forced her to drive to the car park and decked her out in enough explosives to take down a house. Told her to phone you. Check the read-out from this - pager.她家住康沃尔郡,两个蒙面歹徒闯入她家,逼她开车到停车场,在她身上装了能炸平一座房子的炸药,叫他打电话给你,念这寻呼机上面的信息。
S:If she deviated by one word, the sniper would set her off.只要念错一个字,狙击手就开枪。
W:Or if you hadn't solved the case.或者只要你没破案
S:Oh...elegant!哦,真赞。
W:Elegant?赞?
L:What was the point? Why would anyone do this?怎么会有人干这种事?意义何在?
S:Oh...I can't be the only person in the world that gets bored.全世界无聊的人可不止我一个。
W:Four pips.四下。
S:First test passed, it would seem. Here's the second.看样子第一项考验通过了,这是第二项。
S:It's abandoned, wouldn't you say?这车是被遗弃的吧,你觉得呢?
L:I'll see if it's been reported.我看看有没有记录。
D:Freak, it's for you.怪胎,找你的。
S:Hello.你好。
Man A:“It's OK that you've gone to the police.”你去找警察了也没关系
S:Who is this? Is this you again?你是谁?又是你吗?
Man A:“But don't rely on them. Clever you, guessing about Carl Powers. I never liked him. Carl laughed at me, so I stopped him laughing.”但可别指望他们,算你聪明,猜到了卡尔·鲍尔斯。我从来不喜欢他,卡尔嘲笑我,所以我让他再也不能笑了。
S:You've stolen another voice, I presume.看来你又挟持了一个人质。
Man A:This is about you and me.这是你和我两个人的事
S:Who are you? What's that noise?你是谁?那是什么噪音?
Man A:“It's the sounds of life, Sherlock. But don't worry. I can soon fix that. You solved my last puzzle in nine hours. This time you have eight.”是生命的声音啊,夏洛克。不过别担心,我马上就能解决它。上次你九小时内解出了我的谜语,这次给你八小时。