Once upon a time, there was a king. He always worried about what might happen in the future. One day, the king noticed a cobbler. Although he wore ragged clothes, he was very happy. How could he smile so brightly? The king decided to find out.
从前,有一位国王,他总是担心将来会发生什么。有一天,国王注意到一个修鞋匠,尽管穿着破旧的衣服,但他很高兴。他怎么会笑得这么开心?国王决定找出答案。
The next day, the king dressed in rags and followed the cobbler home.
第二天,国王穿着破烂的衣服,跟着修鞋匠回家。
“Please, sir, can you give some food to me?” asked the king.
“求你了,先生,你能给我一些食物吗?”国王问道。
“Of course,” said the cobbler.
“当然,”鞋匠说。
“Why are you so happy?”
“你为什么这么高兴?”
“Today I made enough money by repairing shoes to buy the bread.”
“今天我修鞋赚了足够的买面包的钱。”
“But what if you don’t make enough money for food tomorrow?”
“但是,如果你明天没有赚到足够的钱买食物呢?”
“I have faith. Everything will be fine.”
“我有信心。一切都会好起来的。”
This touched the king. But he wondered what would happen if the cobbler couldn’t make enough money. So the next day, the king didn’t permit anyone to repair shoes. The cobbler was puzzled, but he wasn’t down. When he saw some villagers trying to carry water home, he helped them and got coins from them.
这感动了国王。但他想知道,如果鞋匠赚不到足够的钱,会发生什么。所以第二天,国王不允许任何人修鞋。鞋匠很困惑,但他并没有沮丧。当他看到一些村民想把水运回家时,他帮助他们并从他们那里得到了硬币。
That evening the king went to the cobbler’s house again. The cobbler was having soup and smiling.
那天晚上,国王又去了鞋匠的家。鞋匠正在喝汤,面带微笑。
“How could you pay for the food today?” asked the king.
国王问道:“你怎么买得起今天的食物的?”
“I made money by helping the villagers carry water.” said the cobbler.
“我靠帮村民挑水赚钱。”鞋匠说。
“But what will you do tomorrow?”
“但是你明天怎么办呢?”
“I have faith. Everything will be fine.”
“我有信心。一切都会好起来的。”
“Your faith has driven away my fear about the future. Thank you.” said the king.
国王说:“你的信心驱走了我对未来的恐惧。谢谢你”。