翻译练习:纪伯伦《先知·欢乐与悲伤》

作者:纪伯伦

译者:水石山房主人

On Joy & Sorrow

欢乐与悲伤

Then a woman said, "Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow."

一女子说:“请为我们解说欢乐与悲伤。”

And he answered:

他答道:

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.

你们的欢乐是你们卸了面具的悲伤。

And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.

在你们的欢笑腾涌的同一眼泉中,也时常溢满了你们的泪水。

And how else can it be?

不然又如何呢?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

悲伤在你们身上錾刻得越深,你们能容载的欢乐就越多。

Is not the cup that hold your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?

你们盛酒的杯盏,不正是在陶匠的窑里烧制而成吗?

And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?

而平复你们心灵的鲁特琴,不正是用刻刀镂空的木材吗?

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

当你们欢乐时,审视内心深处,会发现正是那曾让你们悲伤的在给你欢乐。

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

当你们悲伤时,再度审视内心,会看到如今让你们哭泣的正是曾经的欢愉。

Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."

你们中有些人说:“欢乐比悲伤伟大”,而另一些人说:“不,悲伤更伟大。”

But I say unto you, they are inseparable.

但我要告诉你们,它们不可分离。

Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

它们相伴而来,记住,当其中一个与你同席独坐时,另一个已在你床上入眠。

Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.

其实,你就像在悲伤和欢乐之间摇摆的天平。

Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.

唯你空置时,你才平稳。

When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

当守宝人提着你去称量他的金银,必然需要你的悲欢随之升降。

最后编辑于
©著作权归作者所有,转载或内容合作请联系作者
【社区内容提示】社区部分内容疑似由AI辅助生成,浏览时请结合常识与多方信息审慎甄别。
平台声明:文章内容(如有图片或视频亦包括在内)由作者上传并发布,文章内容仅代表作者本人观点,简书系信息发布平台,仅提供信息存储服务。

相关阅读更多精彩内容

友情链接更多精彩内容